Friday, March 09, 2007

Life as we know it

warning: long post
Apparently my curiousity over whether I posted out of habit or as a procrastination methos has been proven. I don't post near as often and have therefore decided that last semester, my obsession with blogging was simply a means of putting of homework. Just thought I would share that...
I mentioned that I had become a certified trainer at work. I mentioned that means that I will be going to Calgary this month to help open. Did I mention that I am going on Sunday. In 2 days! Less! I still can't believe it! And apparently I am not training servers like I orignially thought, but buffet runners(those people who keep the food filled on the buffet). This is cool no problem except I had never even been trained on it, so I have spent the better part of this week being trained in basic buffet cooking and running. No problem, its actually kind of neat, after a year and eight months to learn some of the behind the scences stuff, except for that means I have spent a large portion of the week standing at a stainless steel counter, cutting stuff, putting it in pans, covering it with syran wrap, and putting on the rack. Then I would break something up, put it into pans, cover it with syran wrap, and put it on the rack. Then I would rinse something, put it into pans, cover it with syran wrap, and put it on the rack. Then I would... I think you get the point. The kitchen staff is nice enough, but they are also significantly older than me in most cases, and there is no music in the back. So I stand there, prepping, panning, covering, and placing, alone, in near quiet, with no people... For a day or two, no problem! For three? BORDEM! I am serving tomorrow and can't wait to see people. "Lonely" will no longer be my theme song.
Anyways, so Calgary will be pretty intense. 10 hour shifts, 14 days straight. I am nervous because I am going to be at least half the age of all of the other trainers, and that means I will walk in facing challenges that some of them wont face, but for the most part I am simply excited. I think this will help me to find out if I want to stick with this job for a while yet or not.

In other news, I am starting to figure things out with my life. Surprised? Cause you should be. I am shocked thats for sure. On the 1st I actually went online to apply for UBC Okanogan, but unfortunately I discovered their application dead line was Feb 28. Go figure right? But, there is always next year. What I have applied for is to volunteer. I sent in my application on Saturday(the 3rd) and got my response on Tuesday(the 6th). I have been approved to spend 6 weeks volunteering at an Orphanage in Hati. No joke. I will be assigned 8 babies, and my job is to spend an hour a day/5days a week, with each one of them. That is my job! I am super stoked and really can't wait! I can't even explain how excited I am, so to try and compare it, think about something that you have always really, really, really, wanted to do, but never believed it would actually happen. Find a company that offers it completely unexpectedly, apply within less than a week of finding this company, and get accepted within 10 days of discovering it exists. And so now, maybe you understand my excitement.

Unfortunately I now have some sad news. I have posted before about my Uncle who has been fighting brain cancer for the last two years. To recap, he was diagnosed a couple of years ago, went through treatments and came out of it fairly well. He went to check ups each month and was cleared for a while until finally they told him he was good to go for six months. Well in November, he started acting funny(this is around the time of Nov 20 post, When it rains, it Pours) and went in for a scan. They found 6 actively growing tumors and could do nothing to help him. It was a long 4 months of slowly failing health, until a couple weeks ago he had a really serious stroke and the doctors said he wouldn't make it through the weekend. Well he did, and a couple weeks longer, but he passed away yesterday evening. He went really peacefully and didn't have alot of pain considering, and the family is focusing on celebrating his life, rather than mourning this unavoidable event. They had two years to fill with memories and get in their goodbyes and he is in a better place now. That sounds so trivial.
I guess I post this just to remind everyone to enjoy the time they have and to really apperciate the ones they love. Make time for those that matter because someday, a day will come when you might regret not doing so. So cliche I know but I mean it.

Just to end on a happy note, I met 4 different friends, whom I havn't seen in a while, for coffee this week and truly enjoyed each visit. I love meeting up with old friends and catching up. Really need to do it more often. So thanks, Jessica, Lori, Lindsey, and Amy, for making the time to meet up with me. It was fun.

Off to Calgary I go!

2 comments:

jessica said...

coffee was really great, really lifted my spirits, and congratulations on getting approved with the haiti thing! You have an excitement for life that isn't comparable to anyone I know!

jessica said...

that was a nice long post. but I am really wanting to know how your first day went working 14 hours! Are you dead?