Thursday, February 22, 2007

Been an interesting couple of weeks.
The weekend of Feb 9-11, Cheryl and I set off on an unexpected road trip to Calgary. The original purpose was for me to audition for Canadian Idol, but by the end of the weekend, the audition had become a very minor part of everything. We stayed at my Aunt and Uncle's place, remember my uncle that is dying of Brain cancer? That is where we stayed. Friday night consisted of hanging out and preparing for the audition Sat, my uncle helped me to pick a song and as I stood there singing for him I couldn't help but be glad that he could help me. Saturday started early, we were at the mall by like 7 30 and so began our day. Well waiting for the audition we met some people, a guy from Kings who was there alone(Hey Ken), some photo journalist students from SAIT and a couple of bartenders from Invermere. To say the least the wait was an entertaining one! The audition itself was uneventful, no I will not become famous on tv for singing, but if you watch the show you might see a clip of me dancing... the Birdie dance!(aka the chicken dance) Please don't ask, just enjoy the clip if you see it, and let me know if it does make it onto the show. That night we went to a pub with Ryan, Andrew and Christof, then back to the house where Cheryl Ryan and I just hung out all night. It was really fun. We had a blast of a weekend and were really glad we could go!
Beyond that I spent 4 days in a row sick in bed. Well crawling between the couch and my bed, at both the apartment and at my parents place. Then I spent a day barely moving off the couch because I was so drained of energy. Worst cold I have ever had thats for sure!
And now my big news, work. I have just received the closest thing to a promotion a server can get! I am about to get 'certified' as a trainer. What that means is that according to the Flying J I am a server who has been with them for a while, who does things properly, and who can handle the responsiblility of training new servers. While it does not come with a raise, it does come with responsibilities and a bit more recognition and a little more power(although a little more than nothing really still isn't much). The thing that I am really excited about is that included with my new responsibilities is the ability to help open new stores. and so, in March, when the Flying J opens its new location in Calgary, I will be there. I will be helping to train both servers and buffet runners. They put me up in a hotel, I will work a couple of 70 hour weeks and pretty much do anything they ask, but because of the 70 hours a week(that is 30 hours of overtime a week for those uninclined in math), it is monetary worth it. I am super excited and terrified at the same time, but look forward to it none the less.
And that is my life right now... pretty calm for a reading week that I had wanted to be in Mexico for...

Why is the ocean water salty?
Because if it were pepper water, the fish would sneeze!

hehehe.......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha ha ha, fish would sneeze...
wow, 70 hour weeks. I did nothing like that when I went to Fort mc murry, maybe 55 hour weeks at the most, but nothing extreme like 70! holy.

Anonymous said...

I hope you end up posting stuff from calgary.....