Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Calgary Part One

So. I am living in Calgary... sounds like a bad joke huh? He he...
Seriously though. I am in Calgary. My new home for at least the next couple weeks. I say at least because my DGM(District General Manager) has already mentioned the possibility of having me stay for a week or two beyond the original plan. But nothing there is finalized yet so we will see how it goes.
Thus far things have been nothing what I expected but everythin I have expected. I am the youngest of the trainers and this is made blatently obvious when they all begin to talk about their children, many of whom are older than me(the children) and grandchildren. It is times like those that I get quiet and sit back, because really what can I add to a conversation about my kids. Well, they are trouble makers and they are noisy, but they understand when its quiet time... doesn't work when I havn't got any! Quite frustrating at times. I've really got nothing in common with many of them. But we are getting along just fine.
As for at work. I am not postive as to why I am here yet. I am the gopher. If something small and random needs to be done, I do it. Mostly because I walk around asking for small random things to do. I am here technically as a buffet runner traininer, but since the restaurant hasn't even opened yet, we only need one trainer and the other lady is good. She knows all this stuff and I can't even pretend to know it, and both of us can only take so much of me shadowing her(within 3 feet so I can watch and learn).I can't jump in with the servers because they are so on SPEC (the corporate, 'proper' way of doing things) that I am embarrased. I don't know my spec so well, compared to the server trainers I don't know it at all. And do my jobs have been laminatior, name tag maker, finder of the label maker, price putter upper... you get the point.
Tomorrow I get to work with a waitress. She is brand new, missed alot of the training and is struggling with the training style of the other ladies so they asked me to try tomorrow, see if my style and personality make a difference in helping. I am just excited that I get to do something that I mostly know how to do! Sweet!
Tomorrow night is my uncles memorial. I spent Sunday night at the house and it was strange to not have him there. I have only been there once before(new place for them) but still it was odd to have their family without him. But it is for the better, now he can rest in peace, and the family can begin to move on and heal from his battle.
So I suppose I finish with what little hope I have left to not be bored out of my mind tomorrow at work
and
I leave with the memories that I have with the husband on my mothers best friend, my 'uncle' paul. I Would not be where I am right now without him and his understanding and listening, and helping me to realize that the year off right after Grad was right for me. I'll remember the time he actually stood there and counted out 300 chocolate chips for my cookies because I jokingly told him the number made a difference. I'll look back and laugh at the image of him and my aunt, along with my parents, drinking their wine, killing themselves laughing, and setting the fire alarm off time after time as they tried to cook lobster. I'll sit and treasure my last visit with him, not only the oppertunity to say goodbye in person, but the night where I stood in front of him singing as he used the strength he had to help my pick an audition song. Thank you Uncle Paul, for everything. I love you, and I will see you again someday. Rest in Peace.

2 comments:

Jack said...

the one time i met your uncle.. he made a lasting impression on me... that was really awesome! i love you

Anonymous said...

Where is part 2???
Ashley