Saturday, March 31, 2007

Calgary part 4 (I Hate Cell Phones)

So back to Calgary. Got here yesterday, actually I had company for the drive again. I drove here with the son of someone mom knows. A 7 year old boy. I don't know if you have ever ridden with a 7 year old boy before, but it definitely makes for some rather entertaining moments.
Got into town, checked in to the hotel, dropped off my suitcases(I can already tell you that I wouldn't last long with this roommate. But thats ok, because tomorrow I get my own room), and off to work. I was scheduled 2-10, offered to stay until 12 so to get my 10 hours, and ended up clocked in till 2. After that I sat around there till about 3 30 or so and ended up at work for a rather long time.
Shift went ok though. I got to serve for a bit, got offered a spot on the staff again, numerous times, I found a few more huggers which is awesome in my world, and I think befriended a few of the staff. Like not just as, hey I am here for a week and need to pass some time by talking to people, I actually feel like perhaps there could be a chance that I could transfer to Calgary. Its not so bad (don't worry. I am anti-flames until the day I die, despite the best efforts of staff and customers here).
My problem right now? My cell phone. That stupid little thing that I live by. It is my watch, my alarm, and my only connection out of this place as I don't know any phone numbers without it! Yesterday, I was returning a phone call, heard him answer the phone and that was it. It froze and cut me off. So I take out the battery, return it to its spot, and try turning it on. Well the stupid machine that runs my life with such glee didn't even get past the first screen. It just sat there frozen, staring and me and daring me to fix it. Well I have tried to fix it, and I got nothing! I can not, turn on, my phone. This means no texts. No phone calls. No alarm clock. No watch. No pictures. NOTHING!
So I get up early and go to the Telus Store in South Center mall. (Early isn't saying much, early for me since I got home after 330). They imform me that they can't help me but maybe the other Telus Store in the mall can, so I go there. Well they told me that while they can send it away, it would cost a significant amount of money and could take up to a month to get it fixed. And, because I bought it at Radio Shack(No, not The Source, Radio Shack. Yes, I realize the Source bought out Radio Shack last year, but when I was buying my phone, Radio Shack was attempting to make a comeback. Since then, they have folded and from what I understand will not be returning.) because I bought it at Radio Shack, it would cost even more money to send it away. Off I go to find Radio Shack, ended up at The Source(which is where I discovered that the attempted comeback failed). Now the Source is no help to me because it doesn't deal with Telus, but, the third time is a charm and at least this guy got me a phone number to call Telus and try get help.
Call Telus from the hotel room. Go through the Channels and eventually get someone on the other line. She was friendly. That I admit freely, but beyond that, it was useless. She imformed me that I have to send it out for repairs via a cell store, listed a couple addressed and then I reimformed her I was in Calgary for the week which is my first problem. So she starts listing phone stores. I get a couple numbers of ones I think I can find, call them and discover that, go figure, as they are Calgary based stores, they can't get the phone back to Edmonton when it is fixed. Well, I don't know about you, but the thought of driving all the way here just to pick up my phone when it is fixed seems like a terrible idea!
So I now sit here, without a cell phone, for the first time in two years! For this week I need it, I live by text messaging while I am here, and now I don't even have that...
So my last 24 hours has been entertaining. I hate cell phones. And it is going to be the longest week of my life!
But how are you doing?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well laura, I'm doing school work right now. That's how I'm doing....stressed. But you know what? I have never ever had a cell phone! And I'm 21! There are times when I want one, but mostly, I can handle not having one. But I understand, when you get used to something so convienient, it's really hard to let that go.....just hang on! it will be alright.....:)