Sunday, August 26, 2007

From the sickbed of Laura

I just experienced what was quite possibly the longest 5 1/2 days of my life.
During the day on Monday I had a headache and felt naseous on and off all day. We played cards in the evening and it began to go downhill. By the end of the game I was asking what heartburn felt like, what allergiest felt like, what asthma felt like. I had a pain in my chest and it wouldn't go away. So we go up to bed, I essentially collapsed onto mine. That was it.
I started getting hot and cold flashes. I was freezing cold, but my skin was burning hot to the touch. Turns out, I had a fever. By Tuesday morning my temp rose to 102.8. Needless tosay, by Wed night, when my fever finally broke, I was exhausted. The last 3 days were recovery.
Being sick left me with no appetite and not eating much(which, if you know me at all, is not like me in the least) means I didn't have alot of energy. So complete was my exhaustion that if I sat for more than a minute, I would start to sweat or even simply collapse back to my pillow. The thought of going down the the kitchen usually resulted in my curling up in a ball and taking another nap. When I did take the effort to make the short walk down, I'd stop in the living room on the way to rest, and the first thing I'd do in the kitchen was put my head down to rest.
Wednesday morning I started taking Ceftin. It is a broad spectrum antibiotic taken twice a day for 10 days. So I take my doses Wed and feel super naseous. I found out Thursday that it needs to be taken with food. Or you'll get sick. Opps. Well at least that meant I had to eat at least a couple meals a day. Even now just the thought of the pill makes me naseous. Friday, I was talking to Molly and she tells me that Ceftin dehydrates you. So the fact that for two nights straight I had been waking up throughout the night with a completely parched mouth. Normal. Needless today, I started drinking more water.
Now. All is well. I don't have my usual energy back yet, but that really doesn't mean much. I have some energy, and this morning I woke up hungry for the first time in almost a week. Definitely back on the upswing.
Home in 17 days. Hard to believe I've been here almost a month already.

No comments: