Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Bon soir (Good afternoon)

I know. I've been slacking off and not writing anything. I am sorry, go figure that happens right after I claim that I am going to start writing more often. But, I will try to fill in a little bit.
Things here have been going alright. On Saturday a few of us went shopping in a market. They markets here are nothing like they are in other countries I've visited, I suppose mostly because the tourist industry is almost more legend then anything as far as the Haitians and sellers are concerned. When we get to the 'market', we parked half on the side walk, half on the street, its simply the Haitian way, and 7 white ladies get out of the jeep. Needless to say, even though it was the smallest market I have ever seen, they were all very happy to see us. They followed us from area to area, everyone has "the best deal" and they nicknamed themselves Mr. Cheap, Mr. Liquidation, etc. It was pretty funny. I've never been hounded so much before though. Took some getting used to. But it was fun. We then had lunch at a hotel, moved to another little store(expensive!) and then ICE CREAM! It was made from Haitian Vanilla, which is way different than the stuff back home. It was awesome!
Sunday three of us took a tap tap to the look out point. A tap tap is the Haitian equivalent to a city bus. It is, literally in some cases, a truck with a couple benches in the back. They drive certain routes on the main roads, you simply lift a finger to get in, and say "Merci" to get off. It costs about 30 cents American. Somehow us three girls managed to get off on the right stop(despite me forgetting the name of the street) and then it was a long hike up the mountain. The view from the top, totally worth it. And we got more shopping in, once again, being followed around by all of the merchents. A pretty interesting experience in all.
I got a new little guy on Monday. He is healthy, happy, and really really chubby. He already has a family lined up and I get to help him figure out how to sit and stand, if I'm really lucky maybe walk abit, but I'll be thrilled with the first two choices as well. Power was out when we got back to the toddler house, so we brought water up from the well to get ready for up to a week of no power. Luckily, the generator got fixed so we do have power, but it was an interesting near hit.
My other kids are all doing pretty well. I think they are really starting to get used to me and warming up. My little two year old is doing exceptionally well. I can now get some kisses and hugs out of him and have had him laughing and smiling sometimes. He is interacting with other kids and the other volunteers, so I am really excited about that.

I am going to work on putting up some photo links on the blog page, otherwise pretty soon I will post a couple more as a note. Hope all is well witheveryone. I'll write a little about life here, not the day to day happenings, but the things that make Haiti different, soon I hope.

No comments: