Thursday, July 26, 2007

3 Days to Go

I thought I was almost ready for this trip. One more time out to pick up donation items for the Orphanage and then spend hours packing and re-packing, trying to figure out how it can all fit into two suitcases and a carry on, without being overweight. Not that I am complaining, because in the long run, if I have to bring an extra suitcase then so be it. I have plans to spend a fair amount of money on donation items though. Thanks to a few annonymous donations to be used as such. Can't wait for that shopping trip!

Then yesterday, I get an email responding to a few of my questions about the trip. No tank tops or spegetti straps please... Uh oh. All of a sudden I have to go shopping again for clothes, because I definitely don't have many light weight tee shirts that wont make me uncomfortably hot in 35 degree weather. SO, I now have to go find some cheap, lightweight, shirts WITH sleeves, because if I go with what I got now, I am gonna need that one laundry load a week to be upped to two or three(not allowed, but theorhetically). So a-shopping I go. Makes me glad I didn't spend more than I already have on tank tops. Thats for sure..

I can't believe that in 72 hours I'll be on my way to Flordia. Heck, I'll be in the Toronto airport almost at this point. Doesn't seem real!

How do I feel? I am petrified. But that doesn't change the fact that I want to go. I really have no idea what I am getting into and the more I think about it the deeper my breaths get. The more focused I become on keeping my breathing even and slow. In and out. In and out. In and out. Then I meet more people who feel the need to remind me how dangerous it is in Haiti. Yes. I know that Haiti is dangerous and poverty stricken and right in the middle of the typical hurricane belt(if that is what it is called). Yes I know that I will be there in the peak hurricane season and that the fact I know no one there, the fact that I don't speak the language, and, lets face, I will stand out like a sore thumb with my white skin and redish hair(or brown, depends on who is looking). But there is a difference between me knowing it and other people reminding me of it. It goes like this.Some person"Where you going?" Me "To Haiti" Some Person"Haiti eh? Phew. Why there? Isn't it dangerous? Gun fights, civil war, hurricanes. I know someone who was there and they would have to spend entire days laying on the floor because of the gun fighting outside their building." Thanks. I think I'd rather not know. But that is my random vent of the morning.

Karter came to visit for a night. Hit up a couple 'touristy' things in Edmonton, if you can call them as such. Had a good time, it distracted me from the thought that I was leaving so soon. Sounds like I will be heading out to New Brunswick with him shortly after I return from Haiti. But nothing official yet. To hard to plan something like that with the trip not even started yet. But, thanks for visiting Karter:) Theres a pic from the Legislature grounds.


No comments: