Saturday, June 23, 2007

Some random musings...

First things first. I AM AN AUNTIE!!! I am really excited about it, in case you couldn t tell, and she is perfect. Her name is Keira Lea, she was born at about 1230 Tuesday morning, 3 weeks early, and weighed in at 6 lbs and measured about 49cms... She is absolutely beautiful and a part of me can't wait to return to Edmonton just so I can sit and hold her for a long time!
Haiti is approaching. In less than 5 weeks I will be in Flordia, bracing for my 6 weeks in Haiti. How do I feel about it? I'm absolutely terrified to be honest. I know I keep saying that it is something that I was called to do and something that I didn't choose so much as it chose me, but somehow that fact keeps slipping my mind and all I can think about is how dangerous the country is. How poverty stricken it is. How completely foreign to anything I know it is. How little I will understand of whats going on around me, because my little bit of Spanish sure wont help when they are speaking Creole(a mixture of french and African dielect). I am developing fears that perhaps I will get there, spend my 8 hours a day holdng the babies(as per my job description) and find out that my love for kids doesn't go as deep as I thought. What if I am not qualified for the job? I don't really have alot of experience with Kids.... Anyways. I am still going, I promise that much. I am just scared to death and ffigured I would voice it.
Calgry rocks. I got a suite this time for my hotel room. A king size bed with french doors seperating it from the sitting area. Both rooms have a TV and space. and If I have guests, the couch is a pull out bed... Its cool. Only 2 shifts left and then its home time. Bak to what, I don't know. starting to feel like I am leaving behind more of a life here than I left in Edmonton... Scary thought...
But on that note, I've got to get going. The boys are waiting on me and there are things to do. Sorry for the honesty of this blog. I figure while I am in Haiti I should be really upfront about what I am thinking so that it is really clear and paints an accurate picture. Time to start practising my complete honesty.
Have a good one!

1 comment:

jessica said...

Did you know that some people who are attending Bethel for about a year now just came back (about a year ago) from living in Haiti for the last 15 years and they were missionaries there! This couple has two daughters, around 15 and 17 years old, maybe more children but if your looking for someone to talk to about Haiti, they really know their stuff, and they speak Creole!