Thursday, November 29, 2007

My 'hotel'

And once again I am back in Cow Town. Here for three weeks this time. Maybe I'll take a day off in the middle but I don't think I am going home. I hate winter driving and it just takes way to much energy.
Its been an interesting couple of nights. I got int otown Tuesday, just as my shift began. Well it seems that morning a water main had burst so the whole place had been closed and was just reopening. Our district manager is in town, we just rolled out a new menu, and one of the first things he says to me is, you have a hotel for tonight? Well ya, I tell him, the boss booked it a few days ago. So he says to me, well they are booked up and I don't have one, can you stay at your aunt's tonight? Now, staying there is not such a big deal. I already have a spare key and she doesn't mind, so I call her to let her know and go to work.
I finished my shift a little after oe, drive to her place, dig through my bags in the back so that I will have what I need for the night without bringing in my suitcases, its just for one night after all. I walk up to the house, unlock the lock, push the door, and it doesn't open. It seems, that after putting an extra blanket on the bed for me, and leaving a light on for me, she stepped outside for a smoke, and you know those privacy locks? Like they have at hotels, that you can flip from the inside but not open from the outside? Well she flipped it. So I try the other door, same result. Returning to my car, its nearing 2 in the morning and I am cold, I pull out my phone and call a couple of times. No answer. Now what?
Well I tell myself, I know people in Calgary, I'll just sleep on someones couch tonight. Well, when you are going through your phone at almost 2 in the morning looking for a place to crash, all of a sudden I didn't feel like I knew many people in Calgary...
I finally managed to wake up one on the girls I met in Haiti. She heard my text, called me, gave me directions, and I slept on the couch. She is my hero of the week for taking me i at 230 in the morning.
So then last night, my DM has his own room, I am off at 2 am, so I ask them to tell the Front Desk I will be there, just really late. Somehow, my reservation got cancelled and they call me at almost 1030 to tell me I am roomless again... So now here I sit after spending the night at my Aunt's, hoping tonight I can check in. Not because I don't like being here, but because I am sick of leaving my stuff in the car. The drive is way further. And they promise that while I am in town, they take care of the hotel, its one of the perks. So cross your fingers for me?
I have to run, meeting the Haiti gir for coffee in an hour and I think I hear the shower calling my name...

No comments: