Saturday, March 22, 2008

As my Nerves Begin to Frey

So in ten days I will be on my way. To say the least I am more then just a little bit nervous about going. I am excited, don't get me wrong, but I am nervous as well. I am not exactly the worlds most spontaneous person, but somehow, in a months time, I quit my job, bought a plane ticket, and will be off for the Netherlands. Good times...
I think I have been explaining myself poorly. I say that I am going to Europe, to the Netherlands, to backpack. While this is true in some aspects I guess how I mean it might not be the same as it is understood. I am not going all accross Europe, staying in Hostels every night. I will be living out of my back pack, yes. I will be in Europe, yes. I hope to see more then just the Netherlands, yes. But while I am in the Netherlands, I have family to stay with, and friends.
Moms cousin(Piety) is picking me up from the airport and taking me north. After almost two weeks in the north, she is going to drive me an hour and a half away where I hope to meet up with a friend(my dads cousin's kid- Rene) and spend a day or two. Then it is on to the next city where I meet another friend(met through dad's cousins kid- Jero) and his place will be my base for the remainder of my trip. He is gonna travel with me sometimes, and hoepfully we have the chance to go abroad, and he is also going to show me Amsterdamm. I am welcome in his apartment as long as I want, so on that chance that I decide to stay longer, his place will likely be what I call home.
Hopefully I'll get the chance to stay at some hostels, to backpack and ride the train, but at the same time, if I can have this chance to see the country with people from there, that is pretty awesome too!
I just spent like three hours talking to Jero online and we are sort of starting to form some plans. It is hard to confirm much at this point, as he is not yet positive what his work schedule will be like, he is pretty sure his 5 hours a week is split between two days, leaving open for some long weekend excursions. Can't wait!
Packing for the trip is an experience in itself. I have to remind myself that I am carrying everything I chose to bring on my back and that it has to be resonable. I need to bring things that dry quickly, that don't matter if they get destroyed, and that aren't going to need to be broken in... in other words, I think I might be in trouble. I have to get new shoes, and break them in... I have to buy pants and travel toiletries... I guess Monday will be a big shopping day for me.

Anyways, I hope you all have a very happy Easter Sunday tomorrow, celebrating the resurrection of our Christ the Lord. We are having some family over and having dinner after church, I am looking forward to it. Always an interesting time when you put a bunch of us in one room:) Good night and God Bless!

No comments: