Friday, July 28, 2006

the drudgery we call work

Sometimes it amazes me how we can drag ourselves through the day. Not that I am complaining per say, but wow can work be an interesting experience.
For those of you who don't know, I am waiting tables at a truck stop less than 15 minutes from my house. Sounds exciting, I know, but I love it. Once you get used to creepy, large, and old men hitting on you (and most are all three of those) and actually being surprised that their marriage proposals and requests for affairs wont work on you (or invites to their showers *shudder*), once that is old news, it is a pretty neat job. Some of the truckers have seen alot in their travels and they sure do have alot of opinions on everything. The locals that come in are quite laid back most times, and there are alot of construction workers and tourists making an interesting mix. After a bit of time passes you start getting regulars, those people who are in a couple times a month, a few times a week, heck, we have some people who are in multiple times a day! This is fun because they get to know about your life, they ask how your holidays were, or how that car you had trouble with last summer is running, or what your plans are after graduating with that English degree. It is like an extended family... a old, large, creepy extended family.
However, once you look past the customers (and I'll be honest, as the busiest store in a chain of over 175 restaurants, we have more than just truckers), it is the staff that causes alot of the struggles. My restaurant is going through a management change over. From our General Manager right through all of our lower management positions, right now we are trianing managers for our store and others and have something like 9 managers. Considering the last few months we had 3 at the most, this is a big change. Then add in that we don't like alot of them for various reasons, well it makes work an interesting place to be.
Since it is a truck stop, and I am on days, I work with alot of older ladies and wow do they like to b*tch. Thing is, they only b*tch to the other servers, and we all know that does nothing. It gets old fast hearing a 50 year old complain about something and not do anything about it but threaten, to other servers, that they are going to walk out. Useless is what it is...
So I suppose my complaint with work is in regards to managers who really have no idea what is going on and shouldn't be allowed to run a macdonalds, let alone a busy, full menu and more restaurant, and servers and staff who b*tch about everything, but make no move to change anything "it's not my problem" =news flash, if you are b*tching about it, its your problem!... Thats all I have for the topic.
For the servers out there, imagine my headache when at the end of my shift I discovered there was an error somewhere and a $422 bill had not been cleared. While I don't have to pay it, it still meant alot of questions and harrassment from these hated managers... What a way to end a shift, I was definitely relieved to leave that building!


What do you call a man with no arms and no legs in the water?
Bob
What do you call a man with no arms and no legs on the floor?
Matt
What do you call a man with no arms and no legs on the wall?
Art
ok. so its a terrible joke. I laughed... have a good one!

No comments: