Saturday, March 03, 2012

Swing Lessons!

Something light to share=)

I am learning to swing dance! I suppose that answers at least one of my questions for 2012- if I would be fortunate enough to learn a new style- cause the learning is in progress and I love it!

How did it happen? In Jan I was giving a friend a basic two step lesson- just to teach him the step and a few simple spins and he began talking about how he wanted to learn all the tricks- dips, flips, spins, lifts, and such. He then began saying we should take lessons, but not two step as it’d be redundant for me, and asked what would have the tricks in it. I told him swing, jive, Charleston, lindy hop... that sorta thing. Then said you look into it and we’ll talk (he isn’t the first to claim he wanted to take lessons, usually talk is as far as they get with it), well a week later we signed up for 12 weeks of basic beginner swing (which touches on all of the ones I mentioned above). It is awesome and I love it! Learning something new, but not feeling totally new to it thanks to my country dancing. Its great!

We’ve done 5 weeks so far and have learnt all sorta of steps- 6-count, 8-count, sushi roll, texas tommy, swing out, he goes, she goes, and so many more I can’t even begin to remember the names. I’m learning the technical side of the footwork and having to remind myself that posture in swing is different from two-step, three-step, six-step, and country swing. I have to sit back and let others instruct me and I love it! I also love that the moves I’m learning can totally be moved into my country dancing one we’ve got a firmer grip on it. It’s increasing my repertoire while learning a new style. Love it!

Just wanted to share. I feel like sometimes I forget to share the light and bright in life unless it’s in a quick recap so figured I’d throw one out there!
Rock step, one two three, step step, one two three... Oh how I love to dance!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I'm so glad I decided to come on over to see if you've updated. It has been far too long (as it always is). Love you!