Friday, April 04, 2008

Another Hallo

Have I ever mentioned that I have serious issues with thinking up creative names for my posts. If you have any suggestions, let me know! Its almost as bad as naming a name that tune team...

Jess, pictures are coming I promise. Not sure when yet, and they are nothing compared to the kids in Haiti, beautiful but not cute and heartbreaking at the same time. But I will work on that soon, promise!

So. I am no longer jet lagged. Or I will deny it if I am. Sure I still sleep late and take naps, but I blame that on being relaxed and being drained. It is amazing how much energy trying to converse to someone who speaks only so much English can be. With my aunt, it is ok. Her English is really good actually. But her husband doesn't speak it so well. Well, this afternoon, he and I went for a drive and a tour of some areas in Friesland (I know it is spelt different then last time, I don't really know which way is right so I think I will use both). Just the two of us. Me with next to no dutch, and his English is choppy at best. It is amazing how well we can manage to get by despite these hurdles. Turned into a really nice day. Got to see a few Dijks, some more windmills, a skate mueseum, drove through numerous little towns and learnt more about this country. Its fascinating really. I am almost glad I didn't do any studying up on the country before I came because hearing it first hand from a Dutch man is really awesome!

For those of you who don't know, my mom was born in the Netherlands. Yesterday I had the chance to go with Aunt Piety and see the town that she was born in. I saw a house she had lived in, a bridge my grandpa used to cross going to work, a school that my aunt attended for a little while. In fact, through the kindness of a stranger, we actually got to go inside a house that my mom lived in with her family when she was just 4 or 5 years old! It was an adorable town and since I admit I am a bit of a history fan, it was amazing to go and see this little village. I never really imagined what it was like, or pictured how life had been back then, but after seeing this village first hand, not only do I appreciate the chance to see moms birthplace, I have alot more respect for my grandparents, for all people of that generation and what the must have faced in regards to hurdles. Wow. It was pretty much fantastic.

We also did some visiting, Pietys mom and sister, her cousin(also a Pietje!) and some of her family, a walk to the village to check the prices on Klompen(the infamous wooded dutch shoes). So it was a very busy day!

At that, I must be off. There is an open house at a near by green house tomorrow and I do believe we are headed that way to check it out. Going to bike there. First time I will be on a bike in... I don't know. A long time. Doi!

ps. I ate Chinese food. First time. And I lived to tell =)

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Laura!!! You are so far away!!!! I can't wait to see you in July (you will come visit me at some point in time... at least I had better!)I miss you a lot. Have fun and take lots of pictures (which I am sure you are) to show me!